Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > Hungary
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Tok Fozelek

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DIYASUB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tok Fozelek
    Posted: 11 August 2010 at 10:01
 Squash in sour cream sauce

Zucchini is just about the easiest thing a gardener can grow, and quite prolific. So prolific in fact that by now everybody has had enough to the point where gardeners cant even give it away. That's fine with me, I'll take all ya got, even those great big ones that hid from you and are now two feet long and nine inches thick!

Here's a few somebody just had to get rid of.

I use a potato peeler to skin them and a spoon to gut them.

I suppose a box grater can be used to shoestring them but I love the way my Cuisinart gets the job done.

I salt it liberally and let it sit for half an hour.

Meanwhile, I chop up a medium onion and fry it in bacon fat (You knew it was gonna be bacon fat Wink) until it's clear.

After the half hour I take up a double handful of the squash and squeeze the water out. I put lots of gorilla on it and tons of water come pouring out (The best explanation is that I want to be cooking fiber, not water).

After squeezing out the water I put the squash into my saucepan and add a couple of tablespoons of flour and a half teaspoon of white vinegar, and then toss it until the flour is well incorporated.

I add a couple of Tablespoons of bacon fat and put it over a low/medium flame. The point here is to fry the squash till it wilts.

The squash has gone limp and now I've added the onion and a bit of clean water. How much water depends on how much squash I have. Not ankle deep, but not over it's head either. Just waist deep will be fine and it'll turn into a nice creamy sauce without being too thin.

After simmering it for another three or four minutes I turn off the flame and let it cool a bit. When it becomes warm, but not hot, I add 1/2 cup of sour cream and then bring it back to simmering. The heat will break down the acid in the sour cream and in just three or four minutes I'll be left with a creamy sauce!

Off the stove, into a serving dish, and looky here I've added two Tablespoons of finely chopped fresh dill!

Hey, this isnt bad at all next to a grilled pork chop!

Not Shown; My apologies for not taking pics of the fresh tomato salad I made earlier in the day. By the time I finished preparing the main course I had put the camera away.

Consistency; Note how the squash kind of squatted when I put it on the plate but didnt actually run.

Pro Tip; Never ever give your neighbor this recipe. If you do, he wont have any extra squash to be giving you.
Sponsored Links

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2010 at 10:22
once again, some great-looking hungarian eating, bill!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2010 at 16:19
This sounds really tasty. Of course the bacon frying is excellent, and am sure it gives a great rich flavour to the finished dish with the sour cream. Ever tried frying it in butter? Just curious as to the difference of the total dish at the end.

Your points about squash growing made me smile as I remembered in the past having so many squash and zucchini's - as so did everybody else- putting them in paper sacks and leaving them unnanounced in the dark of night on peoples porchsteps. Otherwise they wouldn't take them!

You did an outstanding job on the pics, step by step and clear instructions..... Thanks for another perfect addition to the forum!  Clap
DIYASUB View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DIYASUB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2010 at 17:25
 Make it with butter? Oh no, you dont want to do that! It's a very traditional Hungarian recipe and any deviation away from bacon fat will cause you to wake up screaming in the middle of the night after dreaming of being haunted by the spirits of long dead angry Huns. LOL
 John, you could probably substitute butter, but I doubt it would do much to improve the flavor. Try it as written first and then decide for yourself if it could matter.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2010 at 18:36
Originally posted by DIYASUB DIYASUB wrote:

Make it with butter? Oh no, you dont want to do that! It's a very traditional Hungarian recipe and any deviation away from bacon fat will cause you to wake up screaming in the middle of the night after dreaming of being haunted by the spirits of long dead angry Huns. LOL
 John, you could probably substitute butter, but I doubt it would do much to improve the flavor. Try it as written first and then decide for yourself if it could matter.
Good grief, don't want any spirits of long dead angry Huns after me...my dreams are scary enough!

Just asking in order to make it slightly more palatable to members of the household, that's all. For me, bacon fat rules!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2011 at 15:13
hey, bill - going to give this a try soon as it is definitely the season for it!Smile

are your amounts above for a particular amount of squash/zucchini, or is there a point where you want to use more or less than mentioned?

was reading in culinaria: hungary very recently, they say this dish is often made with pumpkins. i think the recipe for pumpkin might be slightly different - will check ~
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
DIYASUB View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DIYASUB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2011 at 16:16

Ron, in the first picture the zukes are laying in what is known around here as "The Big Popcorn Bowl". It measures 13"s wide by 5"s deep. That should give you some idea of the dimensions of the intended victims. The amounts listed for all other ingredients have been given for approximately that amount of zuchinni, although like most ethnic recipes there's room for plenty of leeway. In other words, one zuchinni more or less isnt going to hurt anything.

The only really important measurement in this recipe is the amount of water you use to make the sauce, but as long as you remember that too little can be fixed by adding more water to the sauce later you'll be fine. If there is an error to be made, make it on the side of caution and then deal with it if you're not quite satisfied.
 Lol, what's the worst that can happen, you lose a few zuchinni?Wink
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2011 at 16:25
sounds about right, and i know exactly what you mean about "the big popcorn bowl!" we've got a couple of them at our house, too.

i guess a squash showed up at our house today while i was at work! so it got me to thinking about trying this. it's bigger than the ones pictured, but not huge ~ i'll play it by ear and see what happens. looking at making it this weekend ~ maybe more will show up by then!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2011 at 16:30
finally got to try this, click here to see how it was!

bill, let me know how it looks, and many thanks for sharing this! it was amazing and will be a regular dish served here!
DIYASUB View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DIYASUB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2011 at 20:00
 Excellent Ron!!! I've got to go by your pictures and descriptive phrases, but it sure looks to me like you nailed it!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2011 at 16:39
yep, i followed your pix and methods exactly as described in your post above. this was a pretty impressive dish and as you know, it is easy as can be.

highly recommended!

Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2016 at 14:02
This is quite lovely however. I do not eat bacon, so I would use French butter ..  or have to resort to a vegetarian bacon .. 

Like the textures !! Real nice as a stater ..

Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
DIYASUB View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DIYASUB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2016 at 14:53
Margi, there's no reason that you couldn't use butter rather than bacon fat.
Melissa Mead View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2016 at 14:56
This might get me to like squash!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2016 at 15:10
Thank you for your encouragement about the French Butter ..

There are vegetarian bacons that could be interesting too .. Have to check them out at the Bio Natural Health Food Shops ..   But, French Butter would provide a creaminess to Paradise for the palate !!

Have a wonderful summer ..
Melissa Mead View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2016 at 10:06
Talk about great coincidences. Right after I read this, I found President butter on sale. I'll have to come up with a special use for it.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2016 at 11:59

President is a French Brand for Exports !!

Yes,  great ..  Give it a shot ..  You can use both butter and bacon in same dish ..  Perhaps sprinkle the dried bacon bits on top !!  Now this could be fabulous !!  instead of in this dish ..

I shall look for some courgette / zucchine at Farmer´s  Market tomorrow ..

Another alternative to this dish is to use Grana Padana or Reggiano Parmesano  like a Risotto which is another alternative -- 

Surely amazing too ..

Have a lovely day ..

20.00 hours here already ..  

HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2016 at 13:58
For the non-bacon eaters, some sort of schmaltz would add an additional flavor note. Chicken, goose, whatever.

Also, for squeezing out grated zucchini and similar items, I wrap it in a kitchen towel and wring it good. That's the best way I've found to eliminate most of the moisture.

Note to Ron: Try this with your spiralizer instead of grating!
But we hae meat and we can eat
And sae the Lord be thanket
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2016 at 08:55
We made this again last night, right according to the recipe, using the spiralizer as Brook suggests.

Wonderful stuff, as always - a touch of dill from the herb garden set it off very nicely. It made a great side dish with some braised country-style pork ribs.

All I have to say is that if you're not making this, you should be!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2016 at 09:53
Looks wonderful Ron ..

I am going to do a Courgette / Zucchine risotto ( without rice )  ..

I once made --  A friend in Italia had given me the récipe ..  It was quite similar ..  And they used Reggiano Parmesan and butter ..  It turned out wonderful from recollection ..

I just need the zucchine from the Farmer´s Mkt ..

Have a great weekend ..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic