Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Asia > Japan
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Gyuniku Teriyaki

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gyuniku Teriyaki
    Posted: 24 August 2010 at 17:19
Gyuniku Teriyaki
(Broiled Sliced Beef with a Soy-Seasoned Glaze)

From Time/Life's Foods of the World - The Cooking of Japan, 1969:

Quote Beef "teriyaki," like most of the "yaki" recipes, can be cooked not only in a broiler but also on a hibachi or charcoal grill. The sauce may be made in large quantities, covered, refrigerated and kept for as long as a month.

To serve 4 to 6:
  • 1.5 pounds lean boneless beef, preferably tenderloin or boneless sirloin, cut into 12 slices 1/4-inch thick

Teriyaki Sauce/Marinade:

• 1 cup mirin (sweet sake), or substitute 1 cup less 2 tablespoons pale dry sherry
  • 1 cup Japanese all-purpose soy sauce
  • 1 cup chicken stock, fresh or canned

Teriyaki Glaze:

• 1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 2 teaspoon cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon cold water

Garnish:

• 4 teaspoons powdered mustard, mixed with just enough hot water to make a thick paste, and set aside to rest for 15 minutes
  • 12 sprigs fresh parsley

Prepare Ahead:

1:  To make the sauce, warm the mirin or sherry in a 1.5- to 2-quart enameled or stainless-steel saucepan over moderate heat. Off the heat, ignite the mirin with a match, and shake the pan back and forth until the flame dies out. Then stir in the soy sauce and chicken stock, and bring to a boil. Pour the sauce into a bowl and cool to room temperature.

2:  To make the glaze, combine 1/4 cup of the teriyaki sauce and 1 tablespoon of sugar in an enameled or stainless-steel saucepan. Bring almost to a boil over moderate heat, then reduce heat to low. Stir the combined cornstarch and water into the sauce. Cook, stirring constantly, until it thickens into a clear, syrupy glaze. Immediately pour into a dish and set aside.

To Cook:  

Preheat the broiler to its highest point, or light a hibachi or charcoal grill. Dip the beef, one slice at a time, into the teriyaki sauce. Broil 2 inches from the heat for 1 minute on each side, or until slightly brown. For well-done meat broil an additional minute.

To Serve:

Slice the meat into 1-inch-wide strips and place them on individual serving plates. Spoon a little of the glaze over each serving, and garnish each plate with a dab of the mustard and a sprig of parsley. If you prefer, mix the mustard into the glaze before pouring it over the meat.

This will serve 6 as part of a Japanese meal or 4 as a main course.

Note:

Any leftover teriyaki sauce may be stored in tightly-closed jars and refrigerated for as long as one month. Before using, bring to a boil and skim the surface of any scum.

Alrighty, here's how it goes, by the numbers. This stuff is so much better than bottled teriyaki sauce and/or glaze from the store, with a depth that is amazing. It's very easy to prepare and I know you will love it as much as I did, if you give it a try!

Here's a shot of the goods for the entire dish:

Note that the mustard is for the garnish and the cornstarch is for thickening the glaze. The beef strips are from a large, boned sirloin that I bought in one chunk and sliced for this recipe. I sliced it thinner than the recipe recommended (probably 1/8-inch rather than 1/4-inch), but no worries.

The mirin was the one thing that held this project up for quite a while. I did not want to use any substitutes because I knew I would not be satisfied, and my patience was indeed rewarded. This sweetened rice wine has a beautiful, golden colour and is slightly thicker than normal wine. It has a rich, deep aroma that calls up images of rice and the flavour is something altogether different. It really is the essence of teriyaki and it provided the authentic touch and warmth that could come from no other source. After nearly a year of searching for it, it was rewarding to find it and use it.

NOTE - In making this recipe, keep in mind that there are two stages: first, making the teriyaki sauce (which is also used here as a marinade for the beef) and then taking some of that sauce and making the glaze with it. You marinate with the sauce, and you finish with the glaze.

To make the teriyaki sauce, I poured the mirin into a stainless-steel pot:

And heated it on medium until it was just simmering. The "flame" procedure mentioned in the recipe did not work for whatever reason, so I proceeded to add the soy sauce:

The only mirin I could find in the fourth largest state in the union was cooking mirin; this does have a small amount of salt added, so I compensated by using low-sodium soy sauce, and I believe that I achieved a good balance. 

I then added the chicken broth:

I would have preferred to use home-made chicken stock using no or a very small amount of salt, but for today, regular strength broth would have to do.

I brought the sauce to a boil, then took it off the heat and let it cool to room temperature:

To make the glaze, I took 1/2 cup of the sauce (rather than the 1/4 specified in the recipe....it just didn't seem like enough!) and added the sugar; in this case, I used turbinado sugar for a rustic touch:

And then heated this new concotion just below a simmer.

Take a look at that deep, mahogany colour! It was wonderful!

Also note that as I heated the glaze, it thickened slowly from the bottom-up, due to the sugars, I am assuming; but the real thickening began when I added the cornstarch/water mixture:

I continued to stir over the heat until it was nearly transparent. Since i doubled the recipe, i also doubled the cornstarch; I think this may have been a little too much, because it never did quite get transparent and seemed to thicken just a bit too much. I would suggest using 1.5 times the amount of cornstarch, rather than twice the amount, if doubling the total recipe.

Nonetheless, it was ALL good! Following the recipe, I gave my sirloin strips a bath in the teriyaki sauce and then grilled them over a high flame in my gas grill. They cooked quickly and smelled oh-so-good!

While this was going on, I prepared the mustard sauce and some basmati rice, using a little pat of butter and chopped spring onions for seasoning. When the beef was ready, I quickly plated the dish and served:

Everything tasted perfect, and the Beautiful Mrs. Tas said this was one definite success in a long line of dishes she was not so fond of. She did not care for the mustard, which tastes exactly like that chinese mustard served with barbecued pork, but other than that she was impressed.

The only thingIi would really do differently, other than the cornstarch adjustment mentioned above, would be to add the spring onions after the rice had cooked for 20 minutes; adding them with the rice to the water provided some good flavour, but also unfortunately took away their colour and added moisture to the rice, making it a bit sticky. Other than that, it was a perfect meal that I would recommend to any one, any time, anywhere ~ and I will definitely be making this one again!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Sponsored Links

Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2010 at 02:11
Ron, that looks like a meal for royalty!  I've played around making terriyaki-like sauces before, but not quite like this. I'll have to try this recipe.

I'm guessing the reason you had trouble with the flame is just because cooking wines generally have a much lower alcohol content.

I am a sucker for any dish served with basamati rice and sauce, so you can be assured I'll be giving this one a try. Thanks for a great post!rWink
Go ahead...play with your food!
GarethM View Drop Down
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GarethM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2011 at 07:29
Ron,

"because it never did quite get transparent and seemed to thicken just a bit too much"

try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrowroot as this retains the transparency of the liquid

Gareth
Gareth
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2011 at 09:20
hey, gareth - that looks like just the thing to try ~ i will see if i can find some and will use it in my next attempt! thanks!Clap
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic