Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > The Iberian Peninsula
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

La Noche de Paella!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: La Noche de Paella!
    Posted: 03 October 2010 at 05:43

Sunday, October 3, 2010

The Paella Party

The party went very well last night. Our guests began arriving around 5 and were all here by 5:30, when I started the process of making the paella. The wife had set up a nice table out on the deck...it was a little chilly, but we figured it might be one of the last chances we get this season.

It turns out this was also an anniversary party for two of the couples attending...Scotty and Dawn Happy 8th, and Peter and Caroline Happy 18th!

I put the paellera on the grill, coated it well with extra virgin oil and saute'd the chicken until it was beginning to brown.

I then removed the chicken and saute'd the chorizo, onions and garlic until the sausage rendered some of that lovely pork fat. Then came the rice and spices, the hot broth and I returned the chicken to the pan.

We let that simmer until the broth disappeared (had to add the broth in two stages as it would not fit in the paellera) . Then we added the littlenecks, mussels and shrimp and let it cook until the shrimp was pink and the clams opened.

After that it was eat, drink and have a good time. We did our best to keep the neighbors up for a little while LOL.

All in all it was a great time, but next time will be 6 people only...the difficulty I encountered was fitting everything in the pan.

Ron...you'll be pleased to know that I used the "per person" technique instead of the set amount in a recipe, and it worked out wonderfully. We had just a wee bit left over. I wound up using 1/3 cup bomba rice and 1 cup stock p/p,    Two clams p/p same with the mussels, and a boatload of shrimp over the top. The spices were 2 heaping Tbsp of pimenton, and 1/2 teaspoon saffron total. I'll be doing this on a regular basis.
Go ahead...play with your food!
Sponsored Links

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2010 at 11:17
Wow what a smash hit!!! Beautiful execution of the paella Dave, you are now an officially indoctrinated Honorary Spaniard! What a wonderful setting you put on, lovely dishes, glasses, etcetera and the paella on the table was just magazine perfect. Bravo! Clap

Well now that we have a paella triumvirate going on, I think it's my turn to make one, maybe. Sure glad you guys took the plunge and gave it a shot, it's truly one of Europe's better contributions to the culinary world. As you have discovered, it is truly "all good" no matter how you make it, and by the looks of it everyone enjoyed your feast.  
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2010 at 15:16
Originally posted by Rivet Rivet wrote:

As you have discovered, it is truly "all good" no matter how you make it, and by the looks of it everyone enjoyed your feast.  

Well, the leftovers did fit into a sandwich-sized baggie Wink.Only problem we had was beating Scott to the chourico LOL
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2010 at 06:19
Almost forgot to give everyone a rundown on the wines we had at the party the other night.

I rather liked the Rioja on the right for it's spiciness. A few of the folks preferred the other as it seemed to be just a bit drier.
Both were Spanish wines of course, and will more than likely be purchased again in the future.
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 03:14

Exceptionally extraordinary Paella !   Of course, my suggestion is to use a CAZUELA, earthenware
of approx.  114 centimeters circular  with 8 centimeter depth as I do ..

Of course, this size may be hard to come by in North America ..  However, it is worth the investment as it is also wonderful for Risotto and most "group"  specialties and they work on stove top, oven and surely the Grill too .. 

The Wines:   Campo Viejo -  Crianza 2006, oak aged 100% Tempranillo Grape Red is a winery that has been producing for over 100 years approx. 

The ViƱa Alarba,  Granacha Grape ( or Grenache as called in English and French ), I have never seen before and cannot see the Designation of Origin ..

MAY I SUGGEST, SOME EXCELLENT REDS FROM SPAIN : 

1)  Emilio Moro Bodegas - Ribera del Duero
2)  Marques de Murrieta -  La Rioja
3)  Bodega Muga - La Rioja
4)  Red Wine:  Estola - Bodega Ayuso in  Albacete, Castilla La Mancha -  Many Spaniards do not like to purchase as it is produced in Castilla La Mancha, however, I have had uncountable wines living in Spain, Italy and France and Greece and it is exceptionally amazing.  It is a varietal of black and deep cherry hued grapes and has a noble nose ..  IT IS EXPORTED AND RELATIVELY INEXPENSIVE.  If lucky, you may find a few Reservas in a Latin Grocer too ! 

Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 04:06
Originally posted by Margi Cintrano Margi Cintrano wrote:

Exceptionally extraordinary Paella !   Of course, my suggestion is to use a CAZUELA, earthenware
of approx.  114 centimeters circular  with 8 centimeter depth as I do ..

Of course, this size may be hard to come by in North America ..  However, it is worth the investment as it is also wonderful for Risotto and most "group"  specialties and they work on stove top, oven and surely the Grill too .. 

Thank you for the suggestion Margi....as it turns out I have a Portuguese owned supermarket right down the street and have casuelas available anytime, however it won't be necessary as I now own a much larger paellera as well.
gonefishin View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 06:41
     that does look like it was a fine party, Hoser!

Well done!
Enjoy The Food!
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 11:19

Great, Hoser .. 

I am pleased to hear that you have access to Cazuelas. 

I  love Portuguese cuisine and it is a shame that many other European nations, have so little knowledge of  their amazing regional cuisines.  

Have a nice day ..  

Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic