Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The US and Canada > New England and the Northeast
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Sam Adams' Winter Brews

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sam Adams' Winter Brews
    Posted: 25 January 2018 at 10:11
I really like Old Fezziwig, as well as the Winter Lager. The toehrs are good, too - but those two top my list of Sam's winter beers.
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Sponsored Links

woodywoodduck View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodywoodduck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2010 at 20:20
Originally posted by Rivet Rivet wrote:

Ever notice that when you get stuff from out side the area you live in, it seems Better?

You know woody, lots of times that is so true. But I think troyer farm's chips have been the best for over 15 years now. And I've lived in several different places. I do think that most of it has to do with the dirt as you mentioned above. Specific types of soils impart unique tastes in foods. And yeah unfortunately I;ve heard about Rolling Rock going to jersey, but it still tastes good to me. back in my younger days, the cheap swill we drank was either carling black label or national bohemian...I'm sure you've heard of both. 
I've heard of both of them but never drank either of them...

When we were low on money, we would gather pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters and get a case or 2 of Red White and Blue....you may remember that, it was a knock off of Pabst Blue Ribbin...the cans were red white and blue and looked almost like a can of Pabst....a case cost 5 bucks compared to a case of pabst which was something like $14.00 back then.

Pabst is the Farm beer at my Buddy's farm, 3 years ago a case cost $15.00 for a 30 pack (Not much of an increase since back in the mid 80s) but 2 years ago the cost went from $15.00 to Dang near $20.00 for a case!

Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2010 at 05:14
Hey, I liked Carling Black Label...pretty darned tasty for a cheap beer.
Go ahead...play with your food!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2010 at 04:24
Ever notice that when you get stuff from out side the area you live in, it seems Better?

You know woody, lots of times that is so true. But I think troyer farm's chips have been the best for over 15 years now. And I've lived in several different places. I do think that most of it has to do with the dirt as you mentioned above. Specific types of soils impart unique tastes in foods. And yeah unfortunately I;ve heard about Rolling Rock going to jersey, but it still tastes good to me. back in my younger days, the cheap swill we drank was either carling black label or national bohemian...I'm sure you've heard of both. 
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodywoodduck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2010 at 17:32
Rivet,
Rolling Rock -----in my Younger days when I and my Buddies thought we could Drink major amounts of beer with no problem, we called it "Roll and Puke" From drinking to much at 1 time!

I'm Sure you know, Rolling Rock isn't a PA Beer any longer...NJ Beer now.   I'm sure the water isn't spring water like it was from Latrobe PA, I'm sure it is Hudson River Water pumped up into the plant there in NJ and filtered then called ""Spring Water"" BLAH!!!

Never had any of the Troyer Chips.
I love Sticks Chips, Hard to find them in stores around here but they are a PA plant and when all else fails it HAS to be Gramma Utz Kettle Cooked.

I can not remember the name of the chips I found in Norwich NY when visiting my Wife's Family up there, but they had a Kettle Cooked Chip that BLEW Utz out of the Chip Bag!!

here is another small local Beer Brewer...right up the Street from TRÖEGS http://www.abcbrew.com/index_flash.htm  they have a wheat beer that is pretty good!

Back to the Chips and potatoe deal....Hegins PA (Well known for the Peigon Shoot that was Shut down by PETA Angry  ) Has some Farms up there that they grow potaotes for chips and other useage...I got to see last year their planting operation....I SWEAR they were digging 6 foot DEEP Rows and the rows had to be a good 3 feet wide and planting the potatoes in them...It was the Reddest Dirt I've ever seen and I was told from a few guys that know farmers up that way that it is a Great Dirt to plant potatoes in....they are pretty much on top of the Appalachian Mountains Ridge that runs out thru PA and they plant many acres of Potaotes.

I'd love to get to see them digging them, have to hit it at the right time!

They sell to some of the local chip makers to make chips and also farmers markets and grocery stores.

Atleast it is that way to me!
Places up there in the Binghamton Area of NY has some good foods and I can not find them down here in PA....Must be each person's Taste Buds, get into a new location and the food tastes so much better??

Outpost Bar....1 of those Crappy Dives that when you walk in you understand WHY they keep the lights turned down low...but my Wife's Uncle got me to order an Outpost Burger when we were in 1 day for a beer and it is out of this World!!!  I can not find any place around here that makes burgers like it!  The burger had to be a Whole Pound of ground meat and had some spices mixed into it and cooked to medium, GREAT Burger....Just about everything up there taste so much better then here at home!

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2010 at 14:56
Originally posted by woodywoodduck woodywoodduck wrote:

Rivet,

I see from this and another posting of your's that you really like Sam Adams Beer.

If you can get it in your area, try TRÖEGS from down here in Harrisburg PA.

I like Sam Adams beer and like they say about their beers, they use more hops then other beer makers do, not many like sam adams due to the extra hops used in brewing it.

TRÖEGS Really kicks their beers up with extra Hops.

Their Troegenator Double Bock is 1 of the Better with the Extra Hops!

Hey Woody, thanks for the heads' up. Actually, I like any good beer, one made properly in the correct balance and tasty. Troegs sounds right up my alley and I would love to try some. I'll go to the local beer & wine emporium here that carries an unbelievable variety of both and look for it. When I see it I'll buy some and post!

As an aside......if it is from PA I tend to like it. Don't know what it is about you all Pennsylvanians, but you all do brew great beer (my favourite Rolling Rock) and also make the best potato chips in the world, bar none, from Troyer Farms that I have been buying via mail for over 10 years now and sending to family by tha case. 

Folks, I'm serious.....you've never tried a true, perfect, crispy, FRESH, potato chip like the ones Troyer Farms makes. Is it the soil, the water, the oil they use...I dunno, but they are the best in the land as far as I am concerned. Check out their website and info on how they are made. http://www.troyerfarms.com/

A nice history there in the website explains all. And, yes, I do order potato chips online via mail, they are THAT good.

Thankls for the beer info, Woody! I'm looking for it now.

And Hoser, your quote : "I really have to meet this woman someday John. She is an angel....l;ike my Rita. Not at all sure you really deserve her Wink"
You are abolutely correct! She is the best thing that happened to me in my lifetime and have no idea what I have done to deserve her. Angelia is the perfect calm to my storm and I give thanks every day for her. She is the best and you are so right to see that. Thanks, buddy! 

Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2010 at 12:53

Originally posted by Rivet Rivet wrote:

Came home this afternoon to find that my wonderful and thoughtful wife had picked up a case of Sam Adams' winter beers for me while she went shopping today~

I really have to meet this woman someday John. She is an angel....l;ike my Rita. Not at all sure you really deserve her Wink
Go ahead...play with your food!
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodywoodduck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2010 at 11:31
Rivet,

I see from this and another posting of your's that you really like Sam Adams Beer.

If you can get it in your area, try TRÖEGS from down here in Harrisburg PA.

I like Sam Adams beer and like they say about their beers, they use more hops then other beer makers do, not many like sam adams due to the extra hops used in brewing it.

TRÖEGS Really kicks their beers up with extra Hops.

Their Troegenator Double Bock is 1 of the Better with the Extra Hops!

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2010 at 14:42
Came home this afternoon to find that my wonderful and thoughtful wife had picked up a case of Sam Adams' winter beers for me while she went shopping today~ Verrry nice; Mrs Rivet is the best! Apparently Sam Adams is putting out a winter box showcasing 6 of their holiday beers and ales:   

Boston Lager, Chocolate Bock, Holiday Porter, Winter Lager, White Ale and Old Fezzwig Ale.

Now, I've never had anything other than their Boston Lager, so if these brews are old hat to you all, please forgive me and skip this. Otherwise, here we go...

Of course, I had to begin tasting in short order. Smile The Winter Lager appealed to me first because its chilly here, the woodstove is burning and I was thirsty from a long and hard day of slaving at work. So Winter Lager it was!

The label reads: Samuel Adams Winter Lager is a classic holiday tradition. Subtly spiced with a blend of freshly ground cinnamon, orange zest and ginger for a rich, satisfying brew that will make winter seem a little warmer. Not a big fan of "flavored beer", I had my doubts on this one. It was perfect and I liked it a lot. No hint of cinnamon I could detect, and the other two were so nicely muted and the beer so well balanced that I forgot it was a flavoured beer. Definitely would buy this again and a tasty treat it was. Very pretty color too, and was as refreshing as its name "lager" promised.

Next up was the Chocolate Bock, and wowee what a wonderful surprise this one was!

A prefectly thick and well mannered bock- completely bock and that is important, since I was not sure what to expect. A lot of chocolate can be bitter, but this one was just right on. The depth of the chocolate was tempered with the richness of the bock's malt and the just-a-hint-of-coffee-and-hop in the background, at the end made this an eye-opener for me. Wow. Very well done for the brewery, and certainly have a major success on thier hands with this one. Big salute to the brewmaster who developed this one- I know it was not easy.

This one's label read: Samuel Adams' Chocolate Bock combines our carefully roasted malts with the robust flavour of premium dark nibs from Ecuador. We slowly age the beer on a bed of cocoa to impart bold flavours of rich chocolate and a smooth velvety finish. Cheers!

The beer looked beautifully black in the mug and sure kept it's balance as it warmed up as it was drunk. Nothing too sharp or overbearing on this one, just a really nice holiday surprise!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic