Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The US and Canada > New England and the Northeast
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Firehouse Wiener Sauce

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Firehouse Wiener Sauce
    Posted: 20 November 2010 at 03:22

Firehouse Wiener Sauce

My wiener sauce recipe from the firehouse....when working Friday or Saturday night shift, I made them often.
Used to make about 50 wieners to feed six guys. Yes, I know. Oink oink.

This makes a small batch,how far it goes depends on how much you like on your wiener.

1/2 lb ground beef
   1/2 cup minced onions
   1/4 cup minced celery
   1 tsp A-one steak sauce
   1 tbsp Lea and Perrins Worcestershire sauce
   2 tbsp ketchup
   1/2 tsp celery seeds
   1 beef bouillon cube
   Hot water

In a skillet, saute' the beef, onions and celery just until the beef loses it's pinkness.

Add enough hot water to just barely cover the meat mixture.

Add remaining ingredients, reduce heat to a simmer and cook for ten minutes.

Transfer to a processor or blender and puree the sauce.

Serve over hot grilled wieners with mustard, minced onion and celery salt.

Go ahead...play with your food!
Sponsored Links

Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2010 at 03:22
OK Folks...here it is by the numbers....firehouse (football) wieners from start to finish.

First gather all your necessary items...in this case, your ground beef, onion and celery, ketchup, A-1 sauce, Lea and Perrins and celery seed (not pictured)

I like to mince my onions and celery very fine for this recipe, so it gives me a chance to use my handy-dandy Pampered Chef chopper. I love that thing...toss an onion in...whack it a few times and presto! minced onion

OK ...now we'll a bit of oil to a saute' pan, and toss in the beef, onion and celery ...I like to season with salt and pepper at this point. We are going to saute' this just until the beef loses it's pinkness.

Now we'll take a spoonful of beef base (or a boullion cube) and enough water to just cover this meat mixture and add them to the pan. We will also add the celery seed, worcestershire, ketchup and A-1 sauce and mix them in.

Simmer the mixture for 15 minutes

Now get out the blender and puree the sauce for just a second or two...it should be a thick sauce, not a soup. You may have to do this in batches...if you think it's too thick, just add a little water or broth.

At this point I put my sauce in a double boiler to keep it warm, and set up my assembly line. I get my pasta pot out to steam the buns, and the sauce stays warm next to it.

Then we set up the grill and put on the guests of honor. There is absolutely no leeway or discussion here...a Coney Island style wiener must be cooked on the griddle!

When they are nicely grilled, line up the mustard, onions and sauce, get out a couple of steamed buns and go for it. It had been quite some time since I had made these and I'd almost forgotten how addictive they are. I'm afraid I mad a pig of myself last night. Mustard first, then onions...I like a lot of onions, then smother that puppy with sauce...add a shake or two of celery salt over the top and you have it. Enjoy!

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2010 at 07:22
Dave, that looks absolutely wonderful!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2010 at 07:53
Very nice post and certainly something I'm going to try real soon! I'm guessing it freezes well, right? If I make that much I know we can't eat it all, but no worries if it keeps its good to go!
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2010 at 02:55
Originally posted by Rivet Rivet wrote:

I'm guessing it freezes well, right? If I make that much I know we can't eat it all, but no worries if it keeps its good to go!

Oh, yeah! freezes great John....go ahead and make some up!
And don't let the picture throw you...I had a little extra ground beef, so it made a bigger batch than usual.
And Tas....I'll bet it would be very tasty (and different) with ground venison or antelope too!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2019 at 10:44
Bringing this up to the top to go along with Dave's recent posting about the Dynamite Sandwich. We have all of the stuff to give this a go; I meant to try it last week, but wasn't able to.
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
pitrow View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2019 at 09:39
son of a gun that looks good! Like a chili dog but better! I'm going to try this very soon. 
Mike
Life in PitRow - My often neglected, somewhat eccentric, occasionally outstanding blog
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2019 at 10:36
I agree, Mike - every ingredient of it really looks good, to me.
Tom Kurth View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Kurth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2019 at 15:45
I think God must be trying to tell me something. First this firehouse wiener thing shows up, then someone pulls up the Woonsocket Dynamite sandwich thread, and finally I ran into the Woonsocket thing again on  the news feed on my phone. I think I may have to give it a try.

Honestly though, it sounds a lot like a sloppy joe with a little less tomato stuff in it. And that would put it right in line with the chili dog topping at a little drive-in in the next town over: Cree-Mee Freeze. Great ice cream sundaes and foot long chili dogs. Yum!
Best,
Tom

Escape to Missouri
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2019 at 01:23
Hoser, 

Wonderfully done récipe, photographs & definitely Delicious surely ..   
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
ddufore View Drop Down
Scullery Servant
Scullery Servant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddufore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2019 at 20:25
Made this today. Yum, Yum, Yum.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2019 at 13:40
After a couple weeks of false starts, we are slated to have this tonight; we have all of the ingredients at home, and I've left instructions for #2 son Mike to get it going.

All we have in the house are beer-bratwursts, so that's what we'll end up using instead of Coney Island dogs. I apologise for breaking a cardinal rule, but it's all I could find locally at the time, other than some 99-cent "hot dogs" that I probably wouldn't feed to my Weiner Dog, Duke.

I'll post about the results ~ thanks, Dave, for sharing this with us!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2019 at 13:13
We did make this, and really enjoyed it. I know that some have compared it to Sloppy Joes, but to me this is much better and I would definitely prefer this over Sloppy Joes!

The beer-bratwursts that we used for this were fine, but I can definitely see where Coney Island-style dogs would knock this out of the park. The next time we make this, I'll be working on getting some!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic