Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Food Groups > Fruits, Nuts, Fungi and Vegetables
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Green Bean Casserole

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Melissa Mead View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Green Bean Casserole
    Posted: 30 November 2010 at 17:47
Soup is one of the things I've missed. On the plus side, it's forced me to learn how to make my own stock, and taught me how to get creative with herbs and spices. Hm, I'll bet this recipe could be modified...
Sponsored Links

Boilermaker View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boilermaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2010 at 17:23
That's a good point about sodium in canned soups, Melissa, they are just loaded with salt.  I try to avoid them because I am on blood pressure meds and don't want to aggravate my hypertension and make it any worse than it already is. 
Melissa Mead View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2010 at 16:43
I'm in the "I can take it or leave it" camp too. I generally leave it. (Especially when trying to lower my sodium intake.)
Boilermaker View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boilermaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2010 at 15:57
I'll admit to being the odd bird who doesn't really care for this dish, I'll eat it but am not wild about it.  It's a staple at all our family dinners as everyone loves it but me, but to me the flavor of the green beans gets buried in all the canned goop and greasy onions.  I prefer mine cooked with some onion and a chunk of bacon or fatback or with some red potatoes and ham.  Most folks love this dish, though, and that's great because the world would be a very boring place if we all liked the same things!  
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2010 at 03:23
You talk about comfort food..man, this is it!
I don't think I've ever met anyone who doesn't like green bean casserole.
Go ahead...play with your food!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2010 at 18:03
A holiday standard all across our country, Green Bean Casserole goes back a long long time, way back into the era when canned food was a novelty, and recipes utilizing canned vegetables and soups became all the rage and convenience.

The original recipe, form what I've read, called for a half cup of crushed potato chips to be sprinkled over the top before baking. Eventually this gave way to the canned french-fried onion rings and their ramping up of the casserole's taste. Some folks caramelize real onions then mix them into the casserole...there are countless variations on the theme all over America.

Take a can of mushroom soup and 3/4 cup whole milk and wisk together. Add generous amounts of fresh cracked black pepper and 2 well-drained cans of cut green beans, then the can of fried onion rings; Mrs. Rivet likes hers mixed into the casserole instead of sprinkled onto the top. Some people like it this way, some like the onions on top only, and some like it with onions in the casserole and on top. You decide!

Mix well with a spatula and pour into a glass casserole that has been lightly sprayed with cooking spray, or you can butter it. This step is important to maintain a creamy consistency and avoid dried crusty parts. Bake at 375 F for about half an hour or so, until hot and bubbly. Then serve and enjoy!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic