Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Food-Related Topics > Curing of Meats, Charcuterie and Smokehouse Specialties
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Deer Scrapple

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
woodywoodduck View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodywoodduck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Deer Scrapple
    Posted: 04 December 2011 at 09:29
Just Bumping this up....Time of the year...Hunting Season is in and Deer and being Taken by many and most likely members on here...I'm working on Deer Scrapple today from the Big Doe I got last Monday...  Try making a batch and ENJOY the Outcome of it, it is Very Good Eats!!

Sponsored Links

dla69 View Drop Down
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dla69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2011 at 19:33
I hope to try this sometime.  I normally take the ribcages and turn them into stock for use in soups and stews.  This looks like a great use for that meat.

I LOVE scrapple. 
Boilermaker View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boilermaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2010 at 20:55
Woody,

That is EXACTLY how we eat fried mush, fried crispy in butter with maple syrup. 

Damn,  I'll bet this deer scrapple is good and to think I have always thrown the bones out when I could have been making this.  Thanks for showing me how to make this, hopefully next year I will get back into the field and will be able to give this a try.  Thanks again for posting, I am always looking for good game recipes and you seem to have lots of them!
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodywoodduck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2010 at 20:40
Boilermaker,

I use Real Maple Syrup on mine....Fried up in butter till it gets a nice little crunchy crust on it..

I'm not 1 to eat it with eggs, bacon and ham, I just eat it by itself.

While growing up and Dad or my 3 other Brothers or myself would get a deer and we would butcher it, I'd always say to Dad that there had to be something to make out of those bones that still had meat on them...an average deer with all the bones boiled off has about 4 pounds of meat left on them and most do not relize that!  I weigh the meat that I pick off  of the bones, and it is right in around 4 pounds every time, seems it doesn't matter if it is a small deer or a larger deer, the weight seems to come out pretty close every time!  I boil off ALL the bones, front and back leg bones, back bone, rib bones, all of them get tossed in the pot and boiled off to get that little bit of meat that is left on them and can not be cleaned off with a knife!

Dad always said the only thing they were good for was to toss to the dogs...

NOT NOW!!
The Dogs get mad at me when I boil the bones off...they don't get any bones to chew on!

Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boilermaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2010 at 20:15
This looks great and what a great way to use what many would throw out!

Do you fry this up for breakfast with sausage or ham or bacon and eggs?  Would you eat this with catsup or maybe Tabasco sauce or rather with syrup or honey like we do mush in the South and Midwest?
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2010 at 10:35
hey, woody - great pictures that really help to show how it's done! i made something similar once in the form of Ukranian Head Cheese, and this looks like a good one to try as well.

thanks for posting!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodywoodduck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2010 at 17:10
You need to start out with this...

Then you go to skinning and butchering...

when you cut the meat off the bones you get this...

You put those bones in a pot of water and boil them till the meat starts to fall off the bones...cool it down so you can handle those bones and pick the meat off them, back into the pot and set it in a cool place so the tallow fat thickens and hardens on top of the meat and broth and skim it off.....that Tallow fat, You do NOT Want that in the scrapple for it will stick to the roof of your mouth and it feels like you have paste on the roof of your mouth...

Your left with broth and bits of meat...pour the meat and broth thru a collander and take just the meat and grind the bits of meat up..

you then put the amount of meat back into the amount of broth called for in the recipe and add the spices...

Get it boiling and add the corn meal SLOWLY and Stir and add some more corn meal SLOWLY and stir, keep going that way till you have all the corn meal mixed in nice and SLOW so there is no lumps (I forgot a picture of the corn meal going in)

After it bubbles a bit, maybe 10-15 minutes, ladle into loaf pans and set aside to cool...

You now have some GREAT Tasting Deer Scrapple to eat!
Try it and ENJOY!
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boilermaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2010 at 17:47
Good stuff right here!

Can't stress enough what woodywoodduck says about going slow with the cornmeal, I've had my share of lumps when making scrapple and mush.
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodywoodduck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2010 at 14:46
HUM, is this the forum for it?

I make deer Scrapple almost every year from the deer I get...

Easy to make, just save the bones with that little bit of meat left on them...

Boil them off and pull that little bit of meat off them and throw into the stock juice.

Here is the Recipe I follow....it saves throwing away that little bit of meat left on the bones and thinking that it could have been used some way or another other then tossing to the dogs or throwing out on the back side of the field for the critters to chew on!

Quote DEER SCRAPPLE  

Read more about it at www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1652,152189-247202,00.html
Content Copyright © 2010 Cooks.com - All rights reserved.

1 lb. ground deer
1 lb. sausage
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. sage
1/2 tsp. cayenne
2 c. water
2 c. cornmeal
2 c. milk

In a large skillet heat sausage over low heat breaking it apart with spoon or spatula. Add ground deer and seasonings. Stir. Break up ground deer and sausage until meat is in small pieces, do not fry meat! Add water. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until sausage and deer are done. Stir in milk.

Over medium heat, add cornmeal slowly, stirring constantly. Bring just to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer 25 to 30 minutes or until thick. Pour into greased loaf pan, chill until firm. Slice into 1/4 or 1/2 inch slices. Dredge in cornmeal. Fry over medium heat in bacon grease or cooking oil until lightly browned on both sides.

What I do is boil off the bones, let them cool, save the stock...pick the meat off the bones and run it thru a grinder to grind it all up.
I not used sausage in years past but this year I'm going to try it with the sausage!

I have followed the recipe with everything else...when it comes time to mix in the corn meal, it needs to be done SLOWLY, a Hand full at a time and mix real good then another hand full...if you dump all of the corn meal in at 1 time, you will end up with Lumps all thru your scrapple!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic