Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Topics > The Veranda
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

LABOR DAY WEEKEND PLANS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LABOR DAY WEEKEND PLANS
    Posted: 24 August 2019 at 15:05

Have a marvelous Labor day weekend coming up over the blue pond.

Any body doing something special  ?  

I see lots of vacationers here ..  Quiet  !!! 

Best wishes, 
M. 

Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Sponsored Links

Melissa Mead View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2019 at 19:23
I'm hoping to visit my parents, but at the moment they have no water and their main fridge is down. So...
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2019 at 15:28

Have a wonderful holiday wkend Melissa.

Best regards. 
Melissa Mead View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2019 at 18:46
Thanks, I did! My dad and I made Yemeni-style Shakshouks together: http://globaltableadventure.com/recipe/recipe-spiced-skillet-eggs-yemeni-shakshouka/
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2019 at 04:43

Great Melissa ..

Shall take a look at the link.  Thank you.

I know very very little about this ancient indigenious cuisine.

Have a lovely weekend.
gracoman View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gracoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2019 at 19:59
A little late posting this but better late than never right?

I did this dessert for a Labor Day BBQ.  The main course was carne asada tacos but no pics of that I'm afraid.  I was tired of photographing food by the time that happened so I'll just leave this pic of the marinated skirt steak over high heat on the grill since its all I have.

Apple Tart Tatin and Smoked Milk Ice Cream
The tart belongs in the France forum but it is combined with a modernist smoked ice cream so I'll leave it here
Finished Apple Tart Tatin

For the smoked milk ice cream I set up my cold smoker.  Adding smoke to foods deserves its own thread.  Its more complicated than it seems. 

Got the apple wood smoke stabilized where I wanted it

Placed the ice cream base in one pan and set it in another pan filled with ice cubes and smoked it for 15 minutes

Poured the smoked ice cream base into my ice cream freezer to work its magic

Smoked milk ice cream

Apple Tart Tatin recipe I used

Heston Blumenthal's Smoked milk ice cream

-120g skimmed milk powder
-200g dextrose
-60g white caster sugar
-800g while milk
-400g whipping cream
-apple wood chips

Make the ice-cream base by combining the skimmed milk powder, dextrose and caster sugar in a bowl. Set aside.
In a pan, combine the whole milk and whipping cream and over a medium heat mix, bring it to 45°C. Once it reaches that temperature, add the reserved milk powder/sugar mixture and mix in well, heating the mixture to 85°C.
Remove from the heat and cool it over a bowl of iced water and allow to cool completely.
To smoke the ice cream base, turn one side of the BBQ on full heat. Put the smoke chips onto a piece of tin foil and place on the hot side of the BBQ and heat until they begin to smoke. Once you see a steady stream of smoke being released from the chips, place the pan of ice cream mix onto the cold side of the grill as far away from the heat source as possible. Close the lid to trap the smoke and smoke for 10 to 15 minutes, maintaining a gentle flow of smoke from the back of the barbecue.

Notice the ice cream has no additional flavoring other than the smoke. The classic French Apple Tart Tatin served with modernist smoked milk ice cream is a great dessert for any BBQ. The smoke in the ice cream is there but not overpowering. Just enough to surprise your delighted guests

French Apple Tart Tatin with Smoked Milk Ice Cream

Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2019 at 01:18

Wow Gracoman.  Extraordinary !!

I am quite a fan of Apple Tatin ..  

Simply sensational ..    

Best wishes for a lovely Autumn.  

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic